Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Slowing Down

God has a funny way of slowing us down. I suppose I should have seen it coming. I went straight from the craziness of being a teacher in June, into 3 1/2 intense weeks of university courses, all the while trying to keep from losing my mind as I was preparing to face the 1 year anniversary. Big surprise--I've been sick.

I'm not really sure if it was a migraine that caused mega-nausea, or the flu that caused a mega-migraine, but it hasn't been fun. I wasn't even able to keep down anything that might have mildy relieved my symptoms. Thankfully it's a LOT better today.

We were at Austin (Manitoba, not Texas) for the Thresherman's Reunion this weekend for some good redneck fun. It was actually kind of nice being somewhere that not everyone knows you, and they don't know everything that you're dealing with inside. I could just relax, knowing that so many people were praying, and attempt to have fun while leaving all the garbage in God's hands. I think I succeeded pretty well.

It was actually a lot harder coming home. The whole time I was there, I kept thinking of all the things I wanted to come home and tell Mom about. But she wasn't waiting for me. Even better, I know she's waiting for me in my real HOME, and wow, there will be stories to tell on that day. But still, in this moment, it sucks. It was really hard to have the guys go back to work and to just sit at home by myself.

I was all prepared to do what I do best when I feel like this...work until I'm too tired to think about it. This is where God came in. I'm pretty sure he said, "Honey, you know you've got to slow down and take care of yourself." I'm pretty sure I didn't want to listen, because He took charge as He always does and forced me to slow down for a few days. Seriously, I have a to-do list as long as my arm and yet I sat on the couch nearly all day today. I have to remind myself that my bathroom will still be dirty tomorrow, and my office organizing can wait, too. Admittedly, it has felt pretty good to have a darn good reason not to do anything.

Why does He always have to be right?

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Because He is GOD. Sucks sometimes, doesn't it? :)

I'm so glad that you guys all went away for the weekend. That anonymity during such an important anniversary must have been really good for all of you. I'm praying for you lots this week, in your quiet house. Hope you're feeling better really soon - but know that you have *lots* of time to tackle those organizing projects!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Lindsay! I really appreciate your prayers! I also appreciate that someone's reading this thing--hehe : )