November 20th, 1994 was the day I was baptized. Hard to believe it's been 14 years. I don't often sit and contemplate what that day meant to me. When I was baptized, it was alongside many of my friends. I knew that it was something that I wanted to do, and that God wanted me to do, but I was also worried that I was just doing it to go along with everyone else. Still, I took the step of faith and did it. And it did mean a tremendous amount to me. I was the only one who cried the ugly cry through reading their testimony. Seriously. It was ugly. But that's okay. I know it came from my heart, and it reflected the fact that life was difficult for our family at that point already. I so wanted to commit my life to Christ.
Sometimes you just wonder, though--was this God's timing, or my own? I am always so blessed when I find confirmation of God's timing. Quite some time after I'd been baptized, I was reading through my Grandma's big family Bible. It's one of those Bibles where you can record important family dates. There was her date of baptism--November 20th, 1949. Same date, and the last two digits of the year were just reversed. Pretty cool, huh? She had completely forgotten the date of her baptism, so it came as a surprise to her, too.
As much as I knew I'd done the right thing at the right time deep down in my heart, there is something about having a seriously cool God moment that just makes it all kind of come together.
I always find it interesting how God can confirm His will in our lives. Sometimes when we pray to know His will, I believe He can answer before we have to make a decision. But I believe that sometimes He requires that we just take that step of faith, and He will later confirm His will. Sometimes we know what the right thing is, and we just have to let go, trust Him, and do it, as scary as it may be. I pray that I will be ready, willing, and able to take those steps of faith when He calls.
No comments:
Post a Comment