Monday, August 11, 2008

The Potter's Hand

I've been wrestling with today's post all day. There's a piece of me that desperately wants to delete it. It's like I'm scared that I'm perhaps taunting God, maybe even daring him to bring me more trials, just to see what I'm made of. That scares the junk out of me. Because sure enough, today has been a really difficult day, with some really garbagy issues resurfacing.

So, I've been really struggling. I was really touched by yesterday's message in church. There's so much that hit home for me, but one thing that stuck out is the idea that we are not supposed to be comfortable in this life. So true. More than anything, I would love for God to work out all the little details in my life, and live happily ever after. Of course, that's not the way it's going to be, at least not until eternity. It's really not the way it should be, especially as Christians. Stability brings complacency. We need to be reminded sometimes of the temporal, fragile nature of our lives here and now. It pushes us to have a correct perspective on the things that matter, and most importantly, convicts us of the urgent need to spread the message of God's gift of salvation.

I don't want the rain more than anyone else, but I have to work at coming to terms with the fact that my life no longer belongs to me. Christ bought me with His blood. His sacrifice on my behalf is incomprehensible, and I have nothing to give to Him as an offering of thanksgiving except for my life.

I'm not going to to delete the post, because then I will feel like the Enemy has won this round, and I don't want to let that happen. Does it scare me? Yes, of course it does. I am human, I'm a fairly typical type A personality, and I like to be in control. To give up control of my life is a pretty scary thing. And yet, I truly do want to be used by God. The fact is that the rain is going to fall regardless of what I ask God for. What I choose to gain from those experiences is up to me, and the grace of God. I anticipate it being difficult, but I do want to be the clay. "We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand" Isaiah 64:8. I give my life to the Potter's Hand.

Okay, humor me here. You knew it was coming. I've got to post these lyrics, too. : )


The Potter's Hand (Hillsong United)

Beautiful Lord, wonderful Saviour
I know for sure, all of my days are held in Your hands
Crafted into Your perfect plan

You gently call me, into Your presence
Guiding me by, Your Holy Spirit
Teach me dear Lord
To live all of my life through Your eyes

I'm captured by, Your Holy calling
Set me apart
I know You're drawing me to Yourself
Lead me Lord I pray

Take me, Mold me
Use me, Fill me
I give my life to the Potter's hands
Hold me, Guide me
Lead me, Walk beside me
I give my life to the Potter's hand

No comments: