It was a wonderful day last spring when I received the phone call. The judges had unanimously voted for our book to be the grand prize winner. It was going to be published and available at the Scholastic book fairs across Canada. The kids were each going to receive a copy of the book, a t-shirt, and a medal. The school would receive $1000 and a certificate.
Yesterday, after months of preparations, the day of the ceremony arrived. The prizes in and of themselves were amazing enough, but the recognition we received was quite unexpected. In attendance at the ceremony, we had the Lieutenant Governor of the province, a representative for the Minister of Education, our local MLA, the local Reeve, the Superintendent, and Scholastic Reps (and those were just the ones who spoke). We also received greetings via letter from the Governor General of Canada and the Prime Minister. Then there was the Media! We were on two different news programs, on the radio, on the internet, and in the newspaper. Unbelievable!
I think my feet have finally landed back on the ground today. You know, it's interesting. It's not like this is an award that may have a lot of value in God's eyes. I think what may matter to Him is that it was an amazing gift to the kids--something that will stick with them forever. I'm just humbled to have been used by Him in this way.
I also believe that sometimes He chooses to bless us in ways that surprise us, just because He delights in seeing us smile. : )
It's not the best picture in the world, but just know that I'm pretty much losing it right here (unbelievably enough, I was receiving a standing ovation at this point).
3 comments:
YAY!!!! Congrats - that is so huge. I'm so proud of you. I can't wait to see the book. Let me know when they become available and I want to buy one.
I had no idea - (kind of in my own little world here). I'm so proud of you. This is a huge accomplishment for YOU, not just the kids. Who gave them the idea and direction for this project? Way to go. I'm sorry I missed all the hype. You deserve good things.
YAY, Kathy! So proud of you - and your kids.
Remember to put me on your list of people who want a copy :)
Post a Comment